When you’re redesigning your kitchen, you’re probably going to be putting most of your attention into your cabinets, countertops, sink and appliances. However, you should also take plenty of time to consider your flooring. Besides it being a practical and durable element of your kitchen, it’s also another opportunity for you to make a major design statement. Your choice of floor can complement your cabinets and countertops very well and influence the aesthetic of the entire room.
What you’ll notice as you go through the process of remodeling your kitchen is that there are just as many choices for kitchen flooring as there are for cabinets and countertops. The sheer volume of choices available to you can quickly become overwhelming, so it’s important to get a good sense of the categories of flooring that exist ahead of time so you can have a better understanding of their pros and cons before you actually start making any decisions.
With this in mind, here’s a quick overview of some of the most common categories of kitchen flooring in Flint, MI and what you should know about each of them before you make any installation decisions:
- Stone and tile: These durable types of flooring options are ideal for heavy-traffic areas. Ceramic tile, for example, is quite popular in kitchens and bathrooms and is available in various different colors and styles. You’ll also be able to find it in many different types of designs with decorative borders and other design elements. Stone is going to be a little more expensive than other types of floor options, but there is definitely a luxurious feel to it that can really elevate the aesthetic of your kitchen.
- Wood: Another popular choice for kitchens today, hardwood floors help warm up a space and are also comfortable underfoot. Wood floors are capable of withstanding heavy traffic, and can be refinished over time to ensure they constantly look good. You can also find high-pressured plastic laminates that look like wood and offer the same look for significantly less money.
- Cork: Cork is a flooring material that’s quickly growing in popularity thanks to its durability and versatility. You can find it in a wide variety of colors. It’s especially popular in kitchens because it is water resistant and quiet.
- Vinyl: Vinyl flooring provides you with the biggest variety of styles and colors you’ll find in any type of flooring on the market. You can purchase it in large sheets, but the luxury types of vinyl flooring tend to come in planks or tiles, which you can pretty easily cut to fit the shape of your space. This is an ideal selection for people who want a high-quality floor for a lower cost.
- Limestone: A specific type of stone floor, limestone has been growing in popularity as well. It requires a little more maintenance, as it must be sealed twice a year.
For more information about the various types of popular kitchen flooring, including tile in Flint, MI, contact Glenn’s Tile and Carpet today.